The most frequent question our labels ask us is “What does it take to get a Beatport feature?“, so here goes:
Our label managers bent over backwards to get Beatport to fess up and reveal every bit of useful info needed to do so! It’s about time we start using best practices and stop with all the bull circulating on how it’s actually done:
1) Making use of pre-release dates and setting Beatport exclusivity is a must. Choose either 2 or 4 week exclusive periods on Beatport.
2) Connect to your fan-base and keep your social media pumped.
3) SoundCloud makes a massive impact on Beatport. A totally useful option is to promote your upcoming release there and link to Beatport with the “buy option” in the description.
4) Doing solid groundwork promo is what really makes a difference in harnessing more customers even before the actual release, meaning more sales once the release is out. That’s what our Promopool is for!
5) Separate strong tracks from your (big) products that have been coupled and release them as singles.
6) Your releases should be provided with STEMS in order to get people excited about your release (which could lead to a feature), but not only: it increases the chances that your STEM releases be in the running for receiving a feature to boot!
7) Custom made DJ Charts help your releases to reach even further!
8) Mondays or Fridays are key days to set your release dates on–> Mondays are when features update so it’s likely your feature might not show right away on Friday!
9) Highlighting only a few genres to be released and keeping coherence among tracks makes Beatport’s feature decision a whole lot less tricky.
10) Last but not least: send us your full press-kit 4 weeks before the release date so we can suggest your release for a banner to Beatport directly.
We’re not saying that following these tips will get you an instant feature, but from what we’ve seen they lay a pretty solid foundation on which to build consistently so you’ll have an upper hand and better chance of being in the game for getting featured.
Keeping your social media network alive in a healthy way and / or promoting your releases is just as important as following tips for a Beatport feature: they go hand inhand these days.
Not releasing your music on Beatport yet? Start now.